An international tender is open for the award of a fixed-term contract to the position of Master in Informatics/IT Specialist, within the scope of Project INFRADEV-03-2019/Ref: 871075, entitled “ELIXIR-CONVERGE - Connect and align ELIXIR Nodes to deliver sustainable FAIR life-science data management services”, funded by Horizon 2020, in the following conditions:
Scientific area: Informatics/Computer Sciences or similar.
Eligibility / Requirements: Candidates must hold a completed master degree in Informatics, Computer Sciences, or any related areas with life or health sciences flavor, and be proficient in written and spoken English.
· Full stack developer, with experience on devops and systems integration;
· Proven expertise as systems administrator and manager of IT infrastructure and services;
· Good knowledge of virtualization platforms (e.g.: VMWare, Hyper-V);
· Good knowledge of networks (including administration and installation, firewalls, TCP/IP) and databases (e.g.: SQL Server, MySQL);
· Basic knowledge of switching, firewalls and server/storage hardware;
· Basic knowledge of scripting (e.g., bash, powershell) and task automation;
· Basic knowledge in data center management and data governance, enterprise backup and recovery procedures;
· Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills;
· Autonomy and sense of responsibility;
· Proactive attitude, resilience and capability to work under pressure;
· Good organizational, planning and project management skills, allowing for task prioritization and focus on efficacy;
· Ethical conduct in all daily tasks;
· Demonstrated ability to work in a distributed environment to deliver against challenging goals and timelines.
· Advanced knowledge in the configuration and optimization of services in Linux systems, namely in High Performance Computing;
· Experience in design and implementation of complex systems (e.g. high availability, redundancy, clustering, monitoring and alarmistics, Helpdesk and Tickets, data storage);
· Knowledge in programming (e.g. Python);
· Previous experience with biological or biomedical sciences.
2 to 3 years of experience in the field is a plus but not a requirement.
Functions to be performed/Workplan: The selected candidate will join BioData.pt | ELIXIR PT, the Portuguese Infrastructure for Biological Data and the Portuguese node of ELIXIR - European Distributed Infrastructure for Biological Data. The successful applicant will ensure the implementation, delivery and management of BioData.pt | ELIXIR PT compute infrastructure services, namely to implement the ELIXIR PT health and life sciences ecosystems, among other services, through the collaborative development and execution of the BioData.pt | ELIXIR PT technical strategy. This professional will manage information technology (IT) and computer systems within the limits of BioData.pt | ELIXIR PT requirements, plan, organize, control and evaluate its services. More specifically, the selected candidate is expected to perform:
· The implementation of the Portuguese Node of the European Genome Phenome Archive, under the supervision of BioData.pt | ELIXIR PT and ELIXIR experts;
· Build and manage the BioData.pt Platform of Biological Information, in collaboration with the BioData.pt team;
· Maintain the Compute Node Service and lead and manage compute service provision;
· Support the use of ELIXIR resources by the Portuguese research community;
· Participate in BioData.pt | ELIXIR PT and ELIXIR platforms and projects;
· Provide computing support to the BioData.pt | ELIXIR PT team;
· Administer High Performance Computing servers and virtualization platforms.
The successful applicant will report to the Executive Director and to an expert designated by him/her.
Applicable legislation and regulations: Labor Code, Law nº93 / 2019 of October 1st, in its current version.
Workplace: Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Rua da Quinta Grande, nº 6, Oeiras, Portugal, or at any other BioData.pt | ELIXIR PT member Headquarters, in accordance with the requirements and needs of research projects. National and/or international travel may be necessary.
Duration of the contract: The contract will last for 12 months, scheduled to begin in April 2021, possibly renewable according to a suitable performance within the period of the project, not exceeding the maximum period set for this type of contract – 2 years (included contract renewals).
Type of contract and salary: Term employment contract. The salary will be according to the 44th salary level of the Tabela Remuneratória Única (TRU), approved by ordinance nº1553-C / 2008 of December 31.
Selection methods: The evaluation of the scientific and curricular path focuses on relevance, quality and timeliness in the scientific area of the call:
· Academic and professional training (40%)
· Professional experience (40%)
· Interview (20%)
The Juri will interview only outstanding candidates with higher classification in person or in the impossibility of attending by video conference.
Each member of the jury assigns a classification to each of the candidates on a scale of 0 to 100 points, ranking the candidates according to their classification consisting on the sum of the partial classifications assigned in each evaluation criterion, and taking into account the weighting factor given to each parameter. In this process abstentions are not allowed. Candidates shall be ordered by applying the successive voting method.
The jury may also decide not to assign the position, if none of candidates meets the required conditions.
Composition of the Jury: President: Dr. Ana Portugal Melo; Members: Dr. Mário Gaspar da Silva and Dr. Ricardo Leite. Alternate members: Dr. José Pereira Leal, Dr. Isabel Rocha and Dr. Ana Teresa Freitas.
Notification of results: Minutes will be drawn up with a summary of the Jury meetings, their votes and justification along with a seriated list of the approved candidates and their classifications. The results of this call will be sent by email to all candidates. The minutes will be sent to any candidate that makes that request.
Application deadline and application form: Applications must be submitted from 22nd March 2021 to 6th April 2021. Applications must include a Letter of Motivation, including this announcement identification, full name, parents’ names, ID card, or Citizen Card number and date, or civil identification number, taxpayer ID number, date and place of birth, marital status, occupation, residence and contact address, including email address and telephone. Applications must also include all supported documents, namely, a copy of certificate or diploma, a detailed curriculum vitae, structured in accordance with the items described in Essential Skills and Preferred Skills in the Eligibility / Requirements section, and two reference letters focused on candidate’s professional path.
Applications should be sent independently by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates who formalize their application incorrectly or who do not prove the requirements required in this notice are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the jury may demand any candidate to present documents proving those statements. The false statements made by the candidates will be punished according to the law.
Hearing of the candidates and date of final decision: After notification of the results, all the candidates will have 10 working days to comment. Within the term of 30 days, counted from the deadline for the presentation of the candidacies, the final decisions of the jury are given.
Non-discrimination and equal access policy: The IGC actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, harmed or deprived of any right or exemption from any duty of reason, including descent, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability, illness nationality, ethnicity, language, religion, political or ideological convictions, and trade union membership.
According to D.L. No. 29/2001 of February 3, the disabled candidate has a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their degree of incapacity, the type of disability and the means of communication to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the above mentioned diploma.